6/27/2008

21 days later

I was reading Women's Health magazine the other day and noticed a reference to a book about organization. Something about getting organized in a year, what intrigued me was the authors idea of setting a new habit every 21 days to reach your goal. The author explains that it takes 21 days to get used to a new habit. This isn't a new concept, but I really liked the idea of a 21 day challenge.

I'm very much an all or nothing person, which isn't such a good thing when you're trying to lose weight. It has its perks though, if I make a rule that I have to do no matter what, I'm likely to do it. The OCD inside of me comes out and its like playing that game when you're kid. Remember the one, where you couldn't let the balloon/ball HIT THE GROUND! OR! YOU WOULD ABSOLUTELY FREAK OUT AND DIE! never played? Highly recommended!

Anyhow, its kind of like that with me, if its something I make a rule about I get weirdly excited and competitive about it, even if its with myself. I have to make someone else know about it (you guys) to make it count. I guess what I'm asking, anyone else want to try a new positive habit out for 21 days? It could be simple or hard or whatever. I like the idea of it being something that honestly would challenge us and make us uncomfortable (comfort sometimes prohibits growth.)

Something like: no soda or juice for 21 days, no high fructose sugar for 21 days, no eating out for 21 days, at least 30 minutes of exercise for 21 days...hmm, what else? thinking...no fast food for 21 days, keeping a journal for 21 days, learning a new recipe for 21 days...anything!

What is mine? Exercise every day for 21 days (at least 45 minutes cardio, and strength training twice a week until gym membership runs out. will do alternative exercises at home when it does.) Sometimes I'm short on words for blogging, I feel like "okay, im doing fine, im eating good, im losing weight...what in the world can i talk about?" Well, the truth is, I need to exercise more and this would be a good thing to blog about. Win, win.

Anyone else want to join in for a 21 day challenge? Leave a comment or drop me an email with your challenge and blog link and I'll add you to the list of 21 day challengers.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds interesting. I think I might try keeping a food journal. I am sooooo bad with that. Thats why I had a hard time with WW. BUT everyone raves about how much it helps them see what they are doing right, and where they are going wrong. GREAT IDEA! =)

1:39 PM  
Blogger BeverlySappFL said...

I want to eat dinner before 6pm and I've been able to do just that the last 4 days so I have 17 more days until it is a habit. The test will be tonight and the weekend. I'm already down 5 lbs since Monday and only 65 lbs till goal.

I really enjoy reading your blog.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I've heard the 21 day thing too! I was actually just thinking about trying it with running or walking every day for 21 days. So count me in! Good luck with yours!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hogue said...

I would love to join your challenge. I am challenging myself to walk everyday for at least 30 minutes.

8:44 PM  
Blogger David Berman said...

I love the idea of personal development. And though 21 days sounds reasonable and fairly quick, I contend that if the thing/goal is worthy of creating in your life, the time isn't really a consideration. That said, 21 day bundles of time to get there might just be the ticket.
-David Berman, MS, PT, COMT, CSCS
http://www.crazyfastfatloss.com

4:29 AM  
Blogger WWSuzi said...

O.k i'm game. For twenty one days i will be on program and consistant. No starting over, no excuses!!

10:05 AM  
Blogger BlondeJustice said...

Hmmm... let's see. There are so many things I should do for this challange but, I think that I will challage myself to work out every day for at least 30 min for 21 days. Hopefully starting today since I've already gotten my workout in. :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger maresicle said...

I love this idea! My 21 day challenge will be to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Eeeek!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the idea of developing a new habit in 21 days is accurate, but be wary since I've done this before with results that were not as long term. It seemed with me that to develop a habit took about 3 weeks, however for that same habit to make it a permanent fixture in my daily life takes much longer.

Great job and good luck! Don't get frustrated if the habit takes a little longer than 21 days to catch on permanently.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kim @ Kim and Mikey said...

What an awesome idea! Count me in! I am going to do 2 healthy habits. The first will be to exercise every day for 21 days. And the 2nd is to have no diet sodas for 21 days. The 2nd will be my hardest challenge. But I'm ready for it!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME