6/16/2008

Thoughts on Loose Skin

I've been doing a little research lately on the loose skin that remains after significant weight loss. My opinion on this subject is very conflicted.

I've been reading a weight loss blog for well over a year now from a lady who lost weight and then had surgery to remove "excess skin". After looking at her photos, I'm hard pressed to believe that what she was/is dealing with is loose skin. She is now having more "excess skin" removed.

I showed the photos to Josh and he agreed with me, and pulled up his shirt to show me a similar tuft of skin (love handles) on his sides. He has never lost a significant amount of weight, but still has exactly the same issues that can be fixed with diet and exercise.

It made me wonder if skin can actually and eventually snap back when following healthful methods for losing weight.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I lose more weight and wonder what the condition of my body will be when I get to my goal weight. It is traumatizing to think that I could look like this guy after my weight loss. Okay, I will probably will have my eyes in my head haha.

But, I've been reading a lot about people who do not strength train and exercise while they lose weight having flabby skin left over. And then I read other theories that excess skin is still body fat that needs to be lost. It is true in extreme cases that there are skin issues, when weighing in at over 350,400,600+ pounds. But, for people that lose weight and still have a high fat/low muscle percentage, is it still just skin?


I'm okay with a little loose skin, as it is much better and healthier than being overweight. But, I'm curious what other people think.

Do you think loose skin is always "loose skin", could it be body fat that still needs to be lost?

Are you worried about having excess skin or wrinkly skin after weight loss?


Would you have surgery to fix this issue?



AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...you got me with that pic!! LOL

I think everyone is different. It probably depends on elasticity of your skin, collagen, and even age has an effect. I would hate to have way too much loose skin. But, only time will tell.

In fact, I watch Discovery Health alot, and they had some sort of medical marvels show on the other day. And there was this guy with the most "stretchy" skin. It is actually a medical thing! Here is the only link I could find with him on it: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/scott-mills-stretchy-skin-circus-man/3977856188

Kinda weird & probably unrelated, but semi-interesting/eeeking!!

2:01 PM  
Blogger MaryFran said...

Yes, I absolutely worry about the flabby loose skin issue. I've been losing my weight slowly and I exercise. I was also told by a trainer at the gym to lather myself up with a collagen based lotion when I get out of the shower (I need to start doing that again...I'll try anything hoping it works!) The reports are so conflicting out there. In the mean-time, I try not to worry about it and focus instead on the great shape that my body is in and will be regardless of any flabby skin issues! Yeah yeah...easier said than done!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just my .02 but I often saw in clients I worked with loose SKIN.

as in JUST THAT.
it wasnt fat and wasnt anything they'd ever lose.

some decided they didnt care and others did opt for surgery.

such a personal choice, huh?

Miz.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm dealing with the loose and saggy skin issue now. I'm approaching goal weight, but there's still a lot of belly flab to deal with. I figure I spent a year losing the 90+, I can spend a year trying to take care of the loose stuff. Then I'll figure out where to go next. I'm not opposed to surgery, but I'm not eager for it either. :) Meanwhile, I'll keep focusing on how gorgeous I must be on the inside, having lost this weight! LOL

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't stretch skin out many inches and expect it to snap back. It just doesn't have that much elasticity - especially if you see stretch marks. That means the skin is damaged from the stretching.

As I reach ever close to goal, I see loose skin forming - and I strength train, drink water, stay hydrated , etc.
That said, I would rather have a bunch of loose skin and be at goal than to have the skin tight and filled with fat.

Think of it this way, if you lose the weight and really hate the loose skin (if you have any), you can always gain the weigh back LOL!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME