6/15/2008

NYC Calorie Law or Shock and Awe

As I've mentioned before, Saturday's are my day off where I can eat whatever I want. And usually this turns into a NYC food tour, where I eat the things I would normally feel guilty for wanting. One place I've always wanted to try was Carvel icecream, it's a chain similar to Dairy Queen. Nothing too special, but their signs always get me.

Anyhow, after sharing some chicken tikka masala, me and josh headed to the carvel across the street. There is one on every corner. As we were ordering I sort of noticed a number on the ice cream menu under the price. I honestly did not pay attention to it until Josh pointed out "uh, mine has over 1,000 calories", how did he know that?! And then I looked up again at the bright sign and realized that all of the menu items had a calorie count on them. Right there on the look-up menu in big type. 1,020 something calories for a "regular" ice cream concoction.

I had two scoops on a cone around 800+ calories according to the menu. The ice cream was nothing special, just a sugary mass. But, the calorie count right there in the open, was shocking and so revolutionary to me.

As we were killing time before seeing Sex and the City, Josh wanted to get an ice coffee, so we stopped into the Duncan Donuts. And thats when I saw the calories count of every single menu item starring right back at me. You know the donut bin things with the sign in front of each donut flavor? Well, now its the flavor plus the calorie count! I couldn't believe it. It was exciting and scary at the same time. 630 calories for a chocolate chip muffin, 250 calories for a glazed donut, 400 calories for a lowfat blueberry muffin.

It doesn't surprise me that some snarky people would regard this as a half-assed attempt at trying to deflate the bellies of our country, but I really thought it was interesting that they are required by law to tell you exactly what it is you are about to consume. They should create special codes for the horrors of some of the ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, trans fats (which are now actually banned in nyc), and hormonal animal-fed meat/dairy.

What do you think about this law? Should all states be required to publicize the calories in their food? Would this make you think twice about your order?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


10 Comments:

Blogger Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

For convenience sake, it would be nice to not have to look up something unfamiliar before I order it, I don't think it would make a lot of difference in what I order. Mainly because of the reasons you give--it's often what's IN the food that's the bigger problem than the total calories.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hogue said...

It would definetly make me take a second look. I live in Cleveland, Ohio and we don't have that law. I know it must be shocking to eat out and see that all the time.

Stef

5:28 PM  
Blogger Krissie said...

I think the calorie count is AWESOME. I mean, I know that a cookie dough blizzard is bad for me, but if I knew EXACTLY how bad, I wouldn't throw caution to the wind and order it anyway. Or the things at restaurants that I think are the healthiest choices that usually aren't. The nutritional info on stuff at the grocery store often prevents me from ordering things. I can only assume that the calorie counts on the asiago cheese bagel at Panera would have the same result.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Frankly, it wouldn't stop me from behaving any differently. If I go into a Starbucks wanting a Mint Mocha Chip Frappuccino with Chocolate Whipped Cream, then I'll still get it - regardless of the calories.

If I want something, I'll have it, rather than eating a tonne of other foods to try to replace the craving.

For me, the hardest part is deciding whether to walk into the store in the first place.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I don't believe forcing disclosure is in line with being a free country.'

I think a company is free to post or not post.

I think a customer is free to patronize or not patronize.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my thoughts?

sure (publicize. whatevs. could be helpful sometimes if their version of a typicaly 'good for you' food is NOT AT ALL!)

not at all (change my mind)

I know if Im ordering the hot lava choc cake that is is NOT good for me :) a number wouldnt make me think "HOLY SMOKES! I THOUGHT THIS WAS CHOCK FULL OF FIBER!!"

M.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I think that is amazing. I would love for them to do that here in S.FL! I think it would squash my cravings as soon as I saw that number. I would probably equate it to the amount of time needed to burn it off on the treadmill (aka-my enemy). If its worth an hour on the treadmill...go for, if not, pass the fruit! =)

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it would change my behavior that much... if I'm determined to have 800 calories of ice cream, than I'm probably going to have it no matter what. That said, I love the idea of having calories posted out in the open, if for no other reason than the sheer convenience of it.

j

8:30 AM  
Blogger WWSuzi said...

I would love to be able to see how many calories something was before putting them in my mouth! It would definitely make me think twice.

9:06 AM  
Blogger maresicle said...

Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog! Very inspirational!!!

I WISH they'd post the calories in everything out here...it would sure make counting easier! But, of course, if I was in a certain mood I'd probably just ignore the number :(

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME