6/12/2008

Recipes as promised

I really should have taken pictures of the food I ate yesterday, but I get to making the food and then I want to eat the food and the camera gets forgotten. Poor camera, I'll get better, I promise.

Anyhow, for breakfast/lunch yesterday I wanted to make chicken and bean burritos. I wanted the chicken to be slightly shredded and really flavorful. Usually I just put the diced chicken in the skillet and hope for the best. What I get is rubbery chicken that lacks flavor. What is a girl to do?!

Well, I think I've mentioned this before, but I read a lot of blogs. Its amazing that I get anything done, but a good portion of the blogs I read are food related which is probably not such a good idea. But, after reading a few blogs I started getting tips and ideas on how to make decent chicken in the skillet. Finally!

Okay, so this isn't a real recipe, just a bunch of tips that will lead you to really delicious chicken for tacos or burritos or salads.

This is what I did, I hope it makes sense: Place two chicken breasts in a large freezer bag and slap around with a large wine bottle. Now, this can make quite the scene, but I assure you its worth all the noise and strange looks you may get from those living with you. Pound the chicken like you mean business. I don't have a meat mallot thing, so this is where being a wino comes in handy. It works just as well. I beat the breasts (uhh) until they flattened and I was tired. I then put some olive oil (you can choose how much you use, I used about 1.5 T) with garlic in a skillet over medium high heat. Put the chicken on and sprinkled with taco seasoning (you can make your own or use store bought) and put pressure on the chicken with the wine bottle again.

I turned the chicken over and put more seasoning and knowing me, probably more olive oil. I let it cook until almost done and then I got out a knife and fork and began breaking the chicken up into strips and chunks. It will come apart pretty easily. Oh! I almost forgot, after I turned the chicken over I covered it with a lid for about three minutes. Anyway, once you have the chicken cut up toss it around with your spatula and finish cooking until done. What you will have is moist and flavorful chicken. You will slap yourself for never making chicken this way. Thats what I did.

Recipe Two: Whole wheat pizza crust

This was just an experiment from about two weeks ago that has turned into an obsession. I wanted pizza and I wanted it to be good and I wanted it to be 100% whole wheat. I've read other bloggers who are still trying to master this recipe, but its so easy I don't know what all the fuss is about. Would you believe me if I told you it only has like 5 ingredients and one of them is water? Or that is is delicious crust that you may actually prefer over regular white flour crust? Its beautiful and easy, I could cry thinking about it.

Seriously, I've made it about five times in the past two weeks. Thats something special. You can get really crazy and make your own sauce like I did last night, and you will weep even more. Or you can get even crazier and put fresh basil on top, or even fresh mozzarella. You may need a box of tissues. I still wonder why I ever accepted anything less with my food?

So basically all you need is stone ground whole wheat flour, salt, warm water, yeast and olive oil. I use organic whole wheat flour because I shop at this ridiculous place online, but anything will do. Just make sure its not fake whole wheat or half and half. I like purity. Anyway, get out a 1/2 cup measureing cup and a mixing bowl and a wooden spoon. It doesn't have to be wooden, I just feel more authentic using it. Next I run the tap water on hot until it is hot/warm. I put 1/2 cup of the hot/warm tap water in a bowl with one packet of yeast and mix with a fork until bubbly. Then I add one cup of whole wheat flour and mix. Then I add another 1/2 cup of warm/hot water and another cup of whole wheat flour. Then I add salt, I don't measure it, but I just shake it until the spirit moves me to stop. Its not technical, you will just know.

Mix it all up. Now start gradually adding another 1/2 cup of flour until the dough is moist and movable, but not sticky. Also add some olive oil to give the dough a certain hint of specialness. I don't know how much I use maybe 2 T. or maybe 1.5 T, it's hard to tell. I don't douse the dough.
Once the dough is nice and fluffy, I kneed it a little and then set aside for about 10 minutes in a warm place. This will give you time to gather your toppings. Don't forget to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. After 10 minutes, add your toppings, and bake for about 12-15 minutes.

You may never order pizza out again!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


6 Comments:

Blogger Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

That pizza crust sounds divine! I may have to give it a whirl.

When I want falling-apart chicken, I cook it in the slow cooker, adding just a splash of water or broth, and depending on what I'm making, a few chopped up veggies. Yummmmmmie!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Zayna said...

I will definitely have to try that pizza dough!

11:00 AM  
Blogger MommyHeadache said...

absolutely, I make a 100% wholemeal crust all the time and it is heavenly and more satisfying than white flour crust.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Hepburn Hilton said...

Great tip!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it.
and wonder if Im the only one who had NEVER thought of the wine bottle slammage!!

M.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Cintia Listenbee said...

I just found you today!!! I like your blog. It't not only visually appealing but boy, you have substance! You are a great storyteller in my book because you speak from your heart. You've got yourself a reader! Keep up the inspiring work you are doing on your journey. Your fellow traveler, Cintia EUA

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME