11/25/2008

Intuitive

That is a word that has also been on my mind for a very long time. If what I've been doing isn't working for me, I can't just throw in the towel. I need to find another way of doing things.

Intuitive.

I read a commenter yesterday who said "If i'm not losing weight, then I'm gaining". And that really applies to me, in the sense that if I'm not dieting then I'm eating too much. If I'm not exercising then I'm doing the total opposite. What haven't I been doing? Listening to my body.

I've been eating things even when I don't want them because I feel like I should eat them because I'm not dieting. Deep down, I enjoy exercise, but I don't do it unless I've planned it out. Unless its been scheduled in, unless I'm in "weight-loss mode". It doesn't need to be this way.

I'm spending a good deal of my life planning. Figuring things out. Researching the right way. All the while, waisting a lot of time not doing or moving forward.

I am not losing weight because I'm using dieting as a crutch. A diet to give me permission to eat dessert on occasion, a diet to give me a structure and a diet to tell me what is good for me. I know what is good for me.

I know that sweets (especially in the morning) and high carb foods make me so lethargic that I can't get anything done. They do not give me fuel or energy. They do not fill me up. They do not make me feel good or happy. I know that if I eat smaller meals at night time I lose weight. I know how much I should eat in order to lose weight. I don't need to count every thing excessively. I know that protein makes me feel good, and gives me energy. As well as vegetables. I know that I can have small portions of dessert on occasion and be satisfied. I know that I shouldn't keep excessive amounts of sweets in the house (or baking supplies!) because its too tempting. I realize that I like high calorie foods like pizza, and fried foods but I don't crave them or want them as much as I think I do.

I know all of these things, I have this information. Right now, I'm stopping the cycle. I've stopped waiting for the right diet plan, I've stopped putting exercise on my to-do list. I'm working on trusting myself. Trusting myself that I will take care of myself, that I can eat less, that I can exercise more.

Intuitive.

So here it is: I resign from my dieting mentality. I am going to stop beating myself up over the fact that I can't stand counting calories, or points or measuring out everything I eat. I am rededicating myself to my health and weight loss, because I feel better when I do. I will listen to my body and feed it what it wants, not what my head wants. I know what is healthy for me, I know how my body will lose weight and the insanity has to stop.

Today I start trusting myself. Today I feed myself fuel. My goal is to lose weight, to be in better health and to feel better about myself. I'm not setting a time line for it. I'm going to weigh-in every week publicly, but no more "I will weight 240 by the wedding" stuff. There is no starting and stopping point to good health. The weight will come off and I have to trust that it will happen and I can make it happen. Today I believe in myself.



AddThis Social Bookmark Button


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... excellent post. Go go go!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

This makes me think of Geneen Roth's books. They are all about stopping to restrain ourselves and trusting our bodies/minds to make the right choice. She says restraining too much, depriving oneself, leads to bingeing and other unnatural behaviours towards food.
One of them is "Feeding the hungry heart", and "When you eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair".
Good luck!

3:26 PM  
Blogger AGirlWorthLosing said...

It sounds like your head is in the right place with this kind of thinking. I was trapped in the all or nothing mentality for years and I have gotten no where.

You are right you do know what to do, and you don't need to follow some plan with someone else's rules.

Its a hard change to make but I am now trying to take my weightloss as a series of choices made each time I eat, to nurish my body, instead of just making the hunger go away.

5:19 PM  
Blogger knittingknirvana said...

Well done!

I have been learning about "The Slow Down Diet" which supports everything you have said. It may be something that you want to look at. It makes a lot of sense to me and is a whole new way of looking at weight, diets, etc.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me think of Geneens's books too and also my own. Intuitive - such a beautiful work. It makes me think of that Sacred Biological Order we are all born with that allows us to self-regulate.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lorrie is a smart girl who is starting to 'get it'. This is one blog worth following!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, great work!

I think it’s awesome that you are getting back in shape, and at the same time helping others! I can really respect that!

I’m trying to do the same thing with my website. I recently lost a whole bunch of weight, and I’m trying to share my story with as many people as possible, so they can lose weight too. Please read my story at http://kayliesblog.com

If my website helps you at all, please comment on it. It would mean a lot to me! :)

Kaylie

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME