11/27/2008

exercise for the weak

Day two of my intuitive weight loss, as I'm referring to it was a bit easier with a small loss of control during holiday baking.

The past few days I have had some serious lower back pain, the kind that radiates down through my thigh, leg and then foot. Without two advil every few hours I would have been wobbling around the house. Lower back pain for me is a sign that I need to exercise more. It all started about a week ago when I was bending way down and reaching for laundry at the same time. I find getting laundry out to be totally awkward. I've been spoiled by the fluff and folds in nyc for too long.

Anyway, the bending and grabbing action coupled with little exercise and a weak midsection and all that: major lower back pain. Not having health insurance and not believe it was anything I couldn't cure with exercise I went to the internet for a solution. What I found was a huge resource of exercises specifically for lower back pain.

I was a little worried that doing them would make things worse, but I was willing to give them a try. After a lot of research I found that exercise is the best way to eliminate back pain. I did a few back arching stretches and leg pulling ones too on the floor yesterday morning. At the gym I got on the stability ball and did a few more moves trying to strengthen my lower back and abs.

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical which would have been longer if I didn't find myself completely famished. Then I got in the steam room for 15 minutes. I'm a new fan of steam rooms!

Yesterday morning I started with a cup of coffee (i love my senseo!) and ate a turkey sandwich with a little mayo, provolone and tomatoes on sourdough bread. A couple hours later I had another one and then a string cheese.

We went out to Josh's dads house and then to the gym. It didn't even occur to me that I would be hungry by the time we made it to the gym. Now I know to be prepared with nuts or jerky or something in my purse next time. My stomach was grumbling and angry. After the gym we went to the store and then went to Hardees on the way home.

We normally don't go to hardees, but I knowing I had a lot of baking ahead of me I knew I didn't want to cook other stuff in the kitchen. I got the charbroiled chicken club and a side salad and used half of the ranch packet.

When I got home the baking started. I really thought I could control myself, and I think I could have if I had chewed gum while baking. I will remember that, but I found myself taste testing more than once.

This morning (thanksgiving morning) I'm up and for the first time in over a week I don't have lower back pain! I'm going to stick with my lower back exercises, but its so amazing how quickly I feel better. I can get through the day without any pain medicine and I love that.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


8 Comments:

Blogger Hanlie said...

Way to go on beating the back pain! I'm a big fan of Pilates because it strengthens the core muscles and takes a lot of pressure off the spine.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good and we want to know more about this exercise

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really great contribution. Some specific exercises can help your back. One is to gently stretch your back muscles. Lie on your back with your knees bent and slowly raise your left knee to your chest. Press your lower back against the floor. Hold for five seconds. Relax and repeat the exercise with your right knee. Do 10 of these exercises for each leg, switching legs.
While some exercises are specific for your back, it’s also important to stay active in general. Bicycling or walking are good overall exercises to improve your fitness.
For more information regarding back pain and lower back pain exercise please visit www.backpain.com.au

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new here but will defintely be posting more often from now on, and get to know you better.

You are a beautiful girl and you gave me so much inspiration for myself! I love that you are so confident. The back excercises are a good idea. Even pilates helps a whole lot.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I have knee pain, and doing the exercises helps so much. Hope your back continues to improve!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Juice said...

Glad that you are feeling better! Hooray for healing yourself. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have lower back pain as well and would love to hear about the exercises you are doing! I appreciate your honesty in your posts! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more! I have a lot of weight to lose and am finding it harder this time around!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please share your lower back exercises! i also have lower back pain, and have struggled to find the right exercises to fix that.

thanks!

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME