12/10/2008

Daily Objective: will this action help me achieve my goals?

Last night I had dinner with my future sister and mother in law. It was awesome! As we were chatting towards the end my MIL started talking about setting and achieving goals. Looking at her life you can defiantly credit her for achieving many of her goals.

She said something that is really sticking, and is similar to yesterdays post. She said that in order to reach your goals you have to ask yourself "will this help me to reach my goal?" when confronted with a decision that could take you off track.

This can be applied to any goal and I think it could be a really effective tool. For example, if the goal is weight loss we could ask ourselves before every meal "is this meal going to help me reach my weight loss goals?" Or if we spend several hours a day watching TV we could ask ourselves "will watching this much tv instead of working on my body help me to reach my goals?"

This could be a very powerful! My challenge for us all today is to pinpoint our goals and ask ourselves this question. Print the question out, put it in your pocket, put it on the refrigerator, tape it to the remote and see what happens.

I think this question could also be beneficial for drowning out the opinions of others. If we surround ourselves with people who do support our weight loss efforts we could simply ask ourselves "how will be around this person help me reach my goals?"

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


13 Comments:

Blogger purple_moonflower said...

That was so practical and motivational. Thank you!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So smart and easy! I'm definitely going to try it out.

Thanks : )

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

purple moonflower, I think so too :) Its really helping me today!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sonia, great! let me know how it goes :)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Heather Waghelstein said...

I almost won the day. I was late getting home and had to take the dog to the vet...etc. By the time I got home I forgot to ask the question. I ordered a mexican salad. Tomorrow I will not forget to ask. Thanks for the entry.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love it! That's so simple, but I can see how it would be very effective.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Thanks for this insightful post! It's definitely inspiring and I'll keep it in mind

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your dogs are okay heather.

I asked myself the question off and on today and it really helped. Although I just ate like 4 clementines in one sitting thinking "yes! this will help"

I think it will get to be a more familiar question to ask the more that we do it.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chub, i agree, let me know how it goes.
Thanks for stopping by :)

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,
I love your food entries, I'm always so curious to see what people are eating. I really want to do more food posting when I stop being so lazy :)

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been doing exactly this for a while. I mostly eat intuitively, but constantly consider this exact thing for about everything. Sometimes, there is opportunity to eat fattening foods, and I don't, because it will not encourage weight loss, while other times, I will eat it anyway. I'm always mindful of it, however, so if I'm eating something that will NOT help me achieve my weight loss goals, it will be because I REALLY want it, and have made a conscious decision to eat it anyway, not just because I'm not paying attention.

Nice to have it written so concisely!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Hanlie said...

Yes! That makes perfect sense. Thanks for that, it will certainly make it easier to resist temptations.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Ria said...

I've read your blog for a while, but I haven't commented before. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

What a terrific post. Sometimes the simplest things really are the most effective. It would be great to have this on one of those silicone bracelets, for an "always" reminder.

I haven't had the nerve to make my blog public, so I've sent you an invitation in case you'd like to check it out.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME