8/22/2007

Money and Priorities

I just thought of something really obvious that made me laugh today. I was trying to decide what I wanted for lunch today as I stood outside looking for a place that called my name. I saw a sign at the cheese steak place across the street that read "cheese steak, waffle fries, and soda for 6.99" and it was tempting. But, instead I went to Bergen Bagel with my co-worker and ordered a tossed salad with grilled chicken and paid 6.50 for it. In my head as I was paying I thought "oh, this is so expensive. Maybe I should make my own salads. la la la. 6.50 is a lot, i cant pay that every day. wow, salad. 6.50 lala" it went like that.

Now, let me mention that for the last few weeks in my healthy food hiatus I had no problem dropping close to 10$ at city sub regularly (one sandwich alone is 6.99), or $5 for a breakfast sandwich and then more money for whatever else may have crossed my path. Not to mention the grocery bill. So, I got to thinking about the mind games I've been playing with myself and how much money I actually spend on tempting foods, not to mention that it costs a lot more when I eat more. It was really amusing to have this sort of self-awareness about myself and being able to see the same traits in other people as well.

I've heard a few people say things like "but, its so expensive to buy healthy food" and really, what was I telling myself when I got that salad today? Its like I expected for it to be cheap since it was only fulfilling me nutritionally and not emotionally. I won't even begin to tell you how many things I've bought purely from emotions. It makes me wonder how many other people have the same thought processes and where it comes from.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

What a wonderful insight! I, too, am guilty of doing this.

I think you summed it up nicely by saying since it was "only fulfilling me nutritionally, not emotionally". Too, too true.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, me me me me me!!

It's so cheap to live on Pop-Tarts, frozen pizza, and Doritos.

I don't have a problem paying $6.50 for a salad, though. They always put extra good stuff in there, when mine are lettuce with more lettuce, topped with lettuce.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Chubby Chick said...

I know exactly what you mean. I used to feel guilty for buying a bottle of vitamins for 8 bucks or spending 10 dollars on fresh produce...but I never seemed to have a problem forking over 6 bucks for two large bags of candy or a bakery cake. What were we thinking???

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME