6/01/2007

Girl's got strong legs

Strength training has been going well lately and I have to admit that seeing my strength increase every week is very exciting. We record our weight lifting each week and make notations like "stay the same" or "increase 5,10 or 15 next time". Its really good to see a notation two weeks ago as "stay the same" because it was really challenging and then two weeks later being able to do 10-15 lbs more very easily.

I would also like to note that I have a pair of strong legs and found myself wondering out loud "hmm, I wonder how this happened?" and at the same time answering "oh! because my legs have been carrying around so much weight", its no mistake that I can leg press 380 lbs. right?


Cardio hasn't been happening as much as I'd like- I don't care for the machine beasts at the gym. Josh reminds me that exercise isn't for entertainment, but I don't know if I agree. I think exercise can and should be fun, or else somewhat enjoyable or its hard to stick with. When I'm on the machines even with my own personal TV I can't get into it. I just sit and stare at the clock thinking "ugh 20 more minutes!?" "damnit, I'm only half way done" or finding myself playing mental games like "must... not... look... at clock for... 6 commercials".

I loved playing raquet ball with my friends in college, and wish I could find some place here to play it or some other sport. Being outside, playing and being active is much more appealing to me. There are some cardio-kick and dance classes at our gym that I think would be cool to check out very soon, so I will post how that goes.

I'm a bit nervous about the idea of group exercise, but how bad can it be?

I'm still tracking my food on Weight Watchers Online, and will post this weeks food on Sunday. I had pizza last night which was totally unnecessary and left me with an upset stomach this morning, when will I learn?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 Comments:

Blogger A Heathier Me said...

I love reading your blog. I dont know if I have ever left a comment but I wanted to encourage you to take a cardio class.
I was always intimidated to take a step or spin class because I didnt want to be the biggest person there and I didnt want to look like an idiot. Once I made myself go I fell in love. Having an instructor tell you what to do takes all the work out of working out. Just do what they tell you and have fun!!! Good luck.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Red said...

You're doing awesome. Weight training is amazing, because it produces such tangible results -- you can feel and see new, stronger muscles. For me, it really helped to changed my body shape. One of the first things I noticed was that my shoulders squared off and looked narrower, making me look taller and leaner (and helping my bra straps stay up...hehe).

I find machine-based cardio kind of a chore, too, and TV made the time pass even slower for me. Instead I listen to my iPod and catch up on my weekly news magazines (Economist, Newsweek, etc.) or my current book. If I'm really not feeling it, I turn to cheesy tabloids like In Touch and OK, which I don't allow myself to read unless I'm on working out. (Apparently my love of celebrity gossip keeps me motivated.)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I discovered that I got really bored watching tv while working out ~ especially during the commericals. So I put a bunch of totally awesome songs on an iPod shuffle & I close my eyes & ignore the clock & just get lost in the music! You can do this! Congrats on increasing your weight training ~ I find it really enjoyable also!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME