5/20/2007

Expecting too much out of Old Navy and the like

The other day I wondered into the overly crowded and disorganized Old Navy of Atlantic Ave to bid farewell to the plus size selection. I noticed that all the plus size clothes were marked 40% off, but couldn't find anything worth buying. I ended up purchasing a shirt and skirt from their regualr line of clothing which made me realize that I probably wouldn't miss the plus size section at all. I've read about a million blogs of those who are outraged by the disappearing large clothes and have threatened to stop shopping there. I think thats cute, but really the things that get me down about Old Navy run a little deeper than the disallowance of girthy clothing for my large bottom.

I have to say that I've bought shirts that have cost as low as 97 cents at Old Navy with a previous mark-up of 15.00 dollars. I wonder who is really paying the price of these mass produced clothes? Certainly not Old Navy. I would say it is more along the lines of cheap labor in various countries I will probably never see. I guess my point is, people are willing to get upset and boycott a store that is no longer selling clothes to the over fed, but never consider giving up their business to them because of the under fed sweat shop laborers that work for these huge campanies.

I don't expect much out of places like Old Navy, Wal-Mart, or Target and I know that on the surface they are shiny, cute and cheap. Expecting them to care about losing their plus size line due to lack of supposed business if like expecting Wal-Mart or UPS to suddenly care about letting their employees be eligiable for health care.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. Excellent post.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

some folks thing we have an unalienable right to fashionable, cheap, clothing in any size we want. not in a capitalist society we don't.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Lily T said...

You make a good point! Great post!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME