7/10/2008

weight notice

Something really obvious has been happening this week. We've all heard the old "don't eat before bed" thing a lot of weight loss books tell us about. I've pretty much scoffed at this idea forever now, as I'm convinced "calories in, calories out" no matter what time of day, but I think my mind might be changed.

Normally, I eat dinner whenever I feel like it, there are no meal schedules with us. Dinner at 4? sure 6? okay 10? why not? 12? yup!

This week I'm noticing two things food and weight wise. Last week my weight was up and I felt like I was going off of my plan with those damn zone bars. Sometimes you can't really blame one thing or another, it just is. But, last week I had an insatiable appetite, it wasn't hormonal, as that was the week before and I just couldn't get rid up my cravings.

Anyway, my weight was up on Sunday because of this, I mean dramatically up. And this week, I have been going back down very quickly. My exercise hasn't increased at all. I've been packing for our move, but thats it.

However, two things have been different, I haven't had one zone bar all week, which in turn I've had no cravings. And my need to "just eat" has disappeared. I blame this on a slight stomach bug from Saturdays festivities as well. Maybe I developed a tape worm? :)

What else is different? I've been eating much earlier than usual. In fact, I've been going to bed on an empty stomach and waking up on an emptier stomach.

Here is my equation: no high fructose corn syrup "nutrition bars"/less cravings+slight sickness+ eating much earlier than usual= good times.

I realized I haven't done a weigh in, in forever, and I've got a goal that I really want to get to before we move. So my next weigh-in will be on August 23rd. Which right now, seems forever away, but its really right around the corning for me, especially when there is so much packing to do before the big move south.

PS: plus size fashion remix is coming -today- finally found key article of clothing.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


11 Comments:

Blogger Zayna said...

Yup, I think it might be because the metabolism slows down so much at night.

Although if you want to speed it up do 15 minutes of cardio. Like jump on the elliptical, run around, jump & jacks too. You're body will be like "whoah, where did that come from."

I do have an evening snack if I must but it is usually something like grapes, natural popcorn or some Cheerios if I am really hungry.

I know what you mean by those insatiable appetite days. Thank goodness they come to an end : )

2:53 PM  
Blogger MaryFran said...

I'm glad things are going better for you in regards to the cravings.

I think you nailed it on the head with the high fructose corn syrup in the zone bars (and in tons of other foods that are popular.....it's a 'cheap' sweetener) I have actually seen studies where they are saying that high fructose corn syrup blocks the body from knowing when it's full....you can just keep eating and eating. They use the consumption of soda and how the sizes of soda just got astronomically huge...it is in direct correlation with the time that they switched to high fructose corn syrup in soda.

Another word to the wise.....it's very difficult for a body to process. If you have problems with your digestive system, look into cutting high fructose corn syrup. It may save you many doctors visits!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Hogue said...

I am happy to see that you have recognized what is a trigger food for you. I like to call them red light foods.

I also eat early in the day, and then do a lil cardio. Keep up the good work.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I try not to snack after supper. We normally eat by 6:00 pm at the latest, but it's usually earlier than that. Yesterday, for the first time, I walked on the treadmill after supper and felt great.....but couldn't quit thinking about food!!! If I could get food out of my mind I'd be set!! :)

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normally (when I am on track), I try not to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed. Think about it, when you sleep you are burning NO calories (besides the normal breathing, heart pumping yada yada calories), but when you are awake, you are moving around and burning alot more calories.

Yeah its still calories in/calories out, but its actually calories in/MORE calories out.

I am glad everything is working out for you! Keep up the good work! =)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog "weight notice". Sounds like my wife ... who by the way, will not let me see her weigh herself. In fact, we've been married 5 years now and she still hasn't told me how much she weighs. Right on though, exercise with plenty of emphasis of cardio is the ticket.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats why Im not really a sciencewoman.
(see! it's not just that Im too lazy to read it all :))
I think everysingle study can indicate something but, if your bad responds differently, it doesnt matter!!

Miz.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Land family said...

This is in response to your earlier post about bars. Be very careful about the sugar content in grams. Some of them (Slim Fast? Can't remember) have a TON of sugar, that also leaves me starving within 20 min and for the next several hours. I've found some of the Atkins ones to be 1 g of sugar, so make sure to read.

I'm hungry all the time!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should really try to avoid eating 3 to 4 hours before going to bed. your body will take whatever you consume and wont do good things with it since you will be sleeping, and not using much of it for energy like you normally would if you were up and about.

if you are eating late but then going to bed later, thats fine. but it seems like a sabotage to a healthy lifestyle if you are going to continuously eat late at night and then go to bed. you could probably have dropped a few extra pounds by now just from not eating so late at night.

if you absolutely need to eat at night, make it something like a fruit or something healthy and light.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment on bars. Have you heard of the glycemix index? You want to make sure the bars you are eating have a low glycemix index otherwise you will go through sugar withdrawal, which will make you just want to eat more. There are bars that are specifically low glycemix and promote weight loss out there.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! I really like your blog. your path looks so similar to mine. Anyway, this post for starters really struck a chord with me-- I noticed the same thing, with zone bars, because I really like the zone book-- but I feel like the zone would hate the zone bar, made of rice and rice syrup or whatever. Anyway, yes! give them up! Also, I haven't read all your posts yet, so you might have mentioned this, but stay away from all artificial sweeteners! I was way into "no sugar added" treats and diet snapple, a couple months ago I decided I wasn't going to waste my money on diet snapples anymore, and I lost 4 pounds that week. Artificial sugars slow your metabolism, and stimulate your appetite. You probably know that, "all natural" and all.
great blog! I look forward to following, sorry to write so much.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME