3/14/2007

24 is the magic number


So here it is, the morning of my 24 birthday. What is 24 like anyway?
This year is a bit bitter sweet for me as I am away from friends and family, but in my favorite city with Joshie.
I don't see cake and ice cream in the plans today. Just perhaps want to treat this like any other day, just a year older and hopefully wiser. 23 was a doozey. Did I just say doozey?
My life has changed a lot since my last birthday. This time last year I was working at a place that treated their employees like cattle, with a highly unexcitable income. I was lonely in Huntington in an apartment complex that never really felt like home. I was swimming in debt and eating to the point of being sick every night before bed.

I can't say how many times I just wanted to run away from the residue that remained from the memorable days of college. Things became forced, spending time with friends came down to a fine calculation of everyone’s schedule, and I found myself hiding away from people that did want to spend time with me.

I miss my friends and family dearly on days like today. But, so grateful to find my life where it is right now. A place that I brought myself to, in a city that is visually beautiful, at a job where I am more than appreciated every day with an income that doesn't leave me swimming in debt, in a life where I get hugs every day and fall asleep every night because I'm tired not because I'm sick from food.

So I find myself today with happiness from change at 23; anticipation and hope for 24.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


11 Comments:

Blogger Kriss said...

Happy Happy Birthday!! It sounds like you're in a better place in your life right now - enjoy this magical time!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Red said...

Happy Birthday! May this year bring nothing but happiness and positive things to your life. :-)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy bday hun, I hope at least one wish comes true for you
xx

10:32 AM  
Blogger FAT BRIDESMAID said...

Ahhhh Happy Birthday! I just had my 24th a few weeks ago and let me tell you, 24? Soooo much stinkin' better than 23.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Lorrie! You've already given yourself a great present by putting yourself into a better place where you are respected (and not treated like cattle!).

24 will kick ass!

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, lady! I have this theory that even numbered age years are far superior to odd ones. I hope its true for you!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Happy Birthday! Hope this year is awesome for you!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday Lorrie!! It sounds like you have totally transformed your life for the better in the past year, so its onwards and upwards from here on!! Hope your 24th year brings happiness and wellbeing!

XXX

7:00 AM  
Blogger FAT BRIDESMAID said...

Am I the only one who keeps looking at that picture thinking "Daaaaaaaamn the cupcake looks good!"?

1:25 AM  
Blogger Lily T said...

Beautiful post.

Happy Birthday.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Kimkins Chick said...

Happy Birthday and I love your blog! LOVE IT! First time comment...keep up the great writing! We CAN do this, you know, we will succeed!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME