4/29/2007

Hiding the Scales for awhile



I am trying something new (that doesn't envolve pounds of meat) I am hiding the scales for awhile. Probably a month. I recently read an entry from the Fat Brides Maid and I thought "oh, i do that every time". And its true.

One week I am in the weight loss zone and losing weight and then I lost weight and then I slack for the following week, making me gain or stay the same. And then I start losing again and then slack. Over and over. The scale has good intention and I have good intentions too when I weigh myself every morning. For some reason when I start exercising I start gaining, and then it comes off and then the exercise pays off in various ways. But, seeing the increase even by a couple of pounds makes me feel defeated and I really do not need to give my long list of exercise excuses yet another reason not to treck to the gym.

I like the experimental side of this too, of course. For example, if I don't know what I weigh, will I work harder at my goal? Sometimes I look at the scale as an object I have no control over. The results are
(in my mind), a result of randomness and we all know that isn't true. The numbers dictact how well I'm doing or how poorly I'm doing and are supposed to keep me in line. But, I'm finding more and more that I use the scale as a way of self-manipulation, playing food games the days before or after a weigh-in.

I am hiding the scales for a month and keeping with my same weight loss goals. This should be interesting.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


5 Comments:

Blogger Kriss said...

I play the scale games, too.

Stay strong, chickie . . . stay strong.

Do you ever wonder if all this energy we put towards dieting would be better spent doing something else? I wish I could relax about it.

((hugs))

10:30 PM  
Blogger Lily T said...

I've noticed that the scale affects the way I eat, exercise, and feel, but most of the time I've noticed that it contributes to my weight loss more than detracts. But I also discovered that I disregard what the scale says most of the time. I only really care about my official monthly weigh-in.

Maybe hiding the scale for a month will help you out.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

You are brave!! I find that I stop weighing myself when I know I've put on weight which is a bad thing - I need to keep hopping on mine which is a nightmare.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

i don't always trust my scale but i'm addicted to daily weighing. it doesn't usually effect my day or what i eat, i just like to know. which would probably say a lot about me to a therapist, but why bother?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Krissie said...

I had my husband hide our scales. Now I only weigh once a week. Sometimes I wish I didn't look even then. Good for you. I don't know if I could do it.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME