6/20/2007

chicken tikka masala

Chicken Tikka Masala is one of those things that I had never heard of despite my love for Indian food, but now I am seeing the recipe everywhere the day after I make it. I've read about it in blogs and I even got an email this morning with a reduced fat version of it. Perhaps I can switch the cup of heavy cream for a cup of half and half next time?

One cup of heavy cream consists of 800 calories and 80 grams of fat, scary right? When divided into 4 portions the whole recipe (not including rice) equals out to 10 points, which is less scary. It was so good, and I felt proud of myself for making something that requires time and steps.

I found my recipe here: Chicken Tikka Masala

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


12 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

They make fat-free half and half (I know it seems silly to still call it half and half) It tastes remarkably similar, I think they add stuff to make it taste thick and creamy. I've cooked with it before (in soups) and it always turns out tasty!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Lily T said...

Ly and I love Indian food and been meaning to make some at home. How many calories is 10 points?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Lily T said...

Kara - Where do you buy the fat-free half and half?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

kara- i think i saw that at the store when I was buying the heavy cream, i will definantly pick some up next time...thanks for the tip!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lily- if you click on the link to the recipe they provide all of the nutritional information for every recipe...how cool is that? If memory serves me, one serving has about 423 calories.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kriss said...

If you're ever short on time, Patak's does an awesome tikka masala sauce in a jar. I usually thin it out with a bit of low-sodium chicken stock, and it's so good.

Also, try making it in the slow cooker, if you have one.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Hmm, a weakness of mine for sure.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Naturally Blessed said...

omg!!! i had no idea heavy whipping cream was that "heavy".

to think in the winter i have considered making hot chocolate with pure whipping cream. man, so glad i never did that. the damage may be worse that it already is. lol.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

kriss- what store did you find the sauce in? the chicken broth is a really good idea

5:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

christine- me too...me too

5:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lady t- I didn't realize either really...maybe I was in denial haha. I sort of glanced at the container at the store and saw 50 calories and thought "not bad" but, thats 50 calories per tablespoon :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Kriss said...

Lorrie -

I buy it at World Market (I think it's a division of Costco); but I've also seen it in local grocery stores in the "Ethnic Foods" sections.

Good luck!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME