4/23/2007

I lost

It’s almost midnight here in New York, and this will be my last post about Atkins…forever. Call me a quitter, but after today I know I cannot do this diet for another three weeks. I sat at my desk today eating a few pistachios even though they are not technically allowed this soon on Atkins, but nothing else appealed to me. For lunch I got a grilled chicken salad with sour cream, cheese and jalapenos and it sat there on my desk for a little over an hour before I threw it away. It disgusted me, the iciness of the iceberg lettuce and the meat…especially the meat, I’m convinced that this salad would have looked good to me at some other point in my life. Meat is slowly disgusting me. I'm happy that the reason why I cannot continue with this diet is because of meat and not carbohydrates. This didn't end in ice cream or bread, it ended exactly how it began-I'm just waving a white flag to it now before it gets to that point.

How do I explain this? I have always loved meat, a nice grilled hamburger, charbroiled steak, blackened chicken, or crispy bacon. All of these things I can only stand for a short period before I begin thinking “what did I just eat?”. Its weird for me that I even have these feelings, imagine loving cakes and pies your whole life and then slowly over months and without reason hating everything about them? I’ve never been an animal rights activists- although I think wearing fur is creepy and I’ve never thought much about the growth hormones. But, now the texture, the look and even the smell of meat, makes my skin crawl. I was feeling this before Atkins and even more so now a week later.

I don’t know if I would call myself a vegetarian now or in the future because I don’t know where this is headed, but I’m glad I tried Atkins again for what its worth. I learned a bit which was my hope in the first place. The grass isn’t always greener, but I’m glad I tried and have a new appreciation for moderation. So, on this note- onwards with counting those pesky points/calories and exercising because I’ve got some weight to lose!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I am actually really glad to hear that you won't be continuing with Atkins. Atkins can be REALLY dangerous to your organs. And even though it does work, short term, it really doesn't work long term.

Focus on healthy eating & slowly increasing your exercise & you will do great! Just know that you have an online support system right here, cheering you on!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Kriss said...

I'm a little relieved to hear it didn't work out, too. I dunno . . . I don't like any meal plan that deprives you of certain "core" foods, like fruits & *gasp* bread.

The whole time I tried Atkins, I felt really heavy & uncomfortable. I think it was from the weight of all that meat, but IDK for sure.

At least you tried it & moved on, before you invested too much time.

((hugs))

5:54 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

I would dispute that it is a good thing you stopped Atkins -- been doing it for far too long with far too good results to denigrate it. For Megan, my organs are fine too. I wish you the best, and like they say, different strokes for different folks.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME