4/19/2007

Dear Carbs, I miss you. Love, The Token Fat Girl



As I embark on the fourth day of my Atkins Diet experiment I find myself strangly full and also telling my craving gremlin to shut up. I have a craving gremlin, the one that wants cupcakes, bread and other sugary treats.

On day one as I was grocery shopping online with Josh (he is doing this with me, like a trooper) we kept wondering “what did we eat before???” we were stumped as far as what groceries to buy. But, we moved forward by putting rotisserie chicken, pot roast, lettuce, olive oil, cheese, zucchini, and bacon into the cart. That day at work I was faced with brownies, but turned them down. I wondered to myself “would I have eaten them if I was still on weight watchers? If I didn’t eat them, would they have haunted me throughout the meeting?” The strange thing about doing Atkins for me, is that once I decided not to have one because I can’t have one, they no longer existed on the table next to me.

On day two, I began to notice a slight headache and excessive thirst. The headache eventually went away and I just drank more water. I also made note that I felt fuller longer on the protein, which is a given. Often, my usual breakfast of a bagel or cereal would leave me craving more carbs and hungry before the afternoon rolled around. Those are good tips for me to learn. I didn’t think about food at all, I was satisfied.

Day three went pretty well, I had eggs and bacon for breakfast and a grilled chicken salad for lunch. It wasn’t until dinner that I had the feeling of “there is nothing Atkins-friendly I want to eat” so I didn’t. I ended up snacking on a processed beef stick and an ounce of pistachio nuts. I just couldn’t deal with meat, or vegetables or even cooking them after I spent 45 minutes at the gym, so I went to bed without food. But, strangely wasn’t hungry.

Day four is going well but, I am craving carbohydrates which explains the title of this entry. I had four eggs with cheese and ham for breakfast and I’m struggling with ideas for lunch outside of my usual grilled chicken salad. I feel like this diet is providing me with the idea that every meal doesn’t need bread or pasta with it. I also feel like there are going to be days when I don’t even think about food and others where I throw pity parties because of the planning and lack of variety involved with following this diet.

I wanted to address a couple of concerns and questions that I’ve had regarding my decision to try different diets. I think I have a little bit of a scientist in me that is excited to try new things and make hypothesis on my experiments. My main motive for doing this is not so much to find a diet that will work for me, or to even have consistent weight loss. I have a suspicious feeling that I will lose weight regardless of what plan I follow and that it doesn’t matter if I’m counting carbs, fat, calories or points, they all work. But, maybe not, that’s the point of this. People review products and in essence I’m reviewing diets.

Even on day four of Atkins I’m thinking “okay, I get this I really need to eat more protein, not only for long-term weight loss, but to feel fuller and satisfied longer”. It’s also a challenge for me because I am headed in a stage of my life where I am looking for other sources of protein that don’t involve animal flesh. Those other sources are not allowed on the beginning stages of Atkins, but that’s okay because I like the challenge.

I’m pretty excited about all of this, even if I would love a brownie right now. Thrust forward I say!

Also, I have added some new features to the sub-links on the right hand side of my blog. You will find my Atkins food journal and another page for my Atkins results where I will post before and after pictures along with weight lost. I also post in the exercise log as well, and if you are interested in being apart of my inspirational blogs list just sent me an email at tokenfatgirlatgmaildotcom and we can swap links!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I think it is great to try different diets. I saw a doctor on tv once say that ALL diets work if you follow them it is just a case of finding the one that works best for you.
Not sure I'd be up to being classed as "inspirational" for your list but give me a few months!

2:26 PM  
Blogger The EYE said...

you know, to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if you lost a LOT of weight by switching diets like this. To my understanding, when you switch up your diet drastically, as long as you arent switching to eating a lot more than before, you shock your metabolism and end up losing weight. ive considered doing what you are doing in the past not as a scientific experiment, but as a diet in and of itself - a "chaos diet" or something... keep switching, and keep your metabolism guessing.

good luck!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME