8/11/2008

On the move

I'm back now, at least somewhat. I won't go into detail about the past week, but to be vague it was surreal. Its weird how unexpected events have a tendency to jolt us back into reality and our lives. Its hard to see it this way at the time, but looking at the other side of the coin: a difficult experience often brings something you really needed into your life. In this case, a new perspective and appreciation.

A week from Wednesday I will be leaving Brooklyn for a very small and rural country town in Southwestern Virginia. I don't know what my posting status will be like until I get there, or in the next few days while we pack up. I will say I'm really looking forward to moving and looking forward to fall. September, like January to me is always symbolic of new happenings.

I feel ready to leave nyc, which in the past two years has been really good for me. Life here, is unlike anything else I've ever experiences. In new york, I learned to be a little more braver and learned to just deal with things totally out of my control. Living here is not comfortable or easy, but it has been really rewarding. I feel like when I moved here after leaving college, I desperately needed to experience everything I did here.

This trip in new york, hasn't been perfect or without mistakes. I didn't put myself out there as much as I would have liked, or have much to show for the decent salary I was making except for the opportunity to have a nice life here. I'm really glad that I was introduced to new foods, and new ways of eating. I also got used to walking a lot and walking everywhere. I'll miss that too.

In Virginia, I look forward to being more creative- something that never really happened here. I really thought I would create more, but I rarely did. Lately, I feel more of a drive to be apart of something and get outside of my head. I find myself wanting to go out and try new things, which in Virginia seems much more manageable.

I've been thinking a lot about dieting and exercise lately. And wanting to find more joy in my health pursuits. There is a really great article in this months Bon Appetit, written by a food writer. How she eats out every night and still stays thin. It was so refreshing to hear her write about how she is not naturally thin and how she really does want to eat everything in front of her. She talked about eating only things she really liked. I find this so true, often times in my life I have spent a lot of calories on food I didn't even like. I've scarfed down many of a cookie, fries, nachos, whatever because they were "bad" or "there" but I didn't really like them or even want them. The writer also talks about enjoying food, and eating what she likes to eat, but being more disciplined about the amount that she eats.

I also read a quick interview with Margaret Cho, who has publicily struggled with her weight and body image. The interview was in this months Marie Claire. She talks about her love for belly dancing and how much it has given to her body and self-esteem. When asked about her weight loss because of dancing she responded:

"It's Weird. Discovering burlesque led me to take up belly dancing, and a lot of weight came off. It's a pleasurable movement that has positively increased my body awareness. It's so unlike going to the gym and hating it."

I really liked that. I'm feeling a sway in my life to find more joy in my pursuits for better health. Weight loss can be so negative sometimes, and keeping a blog can really keep you "in your head" about the whole thing too. The thing about blogging is, you are always aware that someone else is reading. I have other blogs, but this one makes me more vulnerable. I get so many lovely emails and comments every day from people trying to lose weight too and sometimes I just think we want to know that we aren't alone in wanting to lose weight and wanting to feel normal and accepted.

With joy in mind, I guess I feel a pull in my heart to get out there and get physical in ways that I love. I was looking at the Floyd (where I'm moving) calendar of events and I noticed that there is a 5k at the end of this month. There is no way I could run a 5k at my current weight and fitness level, but wouldn't it be a crazy notion to try and run one next year?

I guess what I'm feeling is, is that I want to take care of myself and celebrate my life and body more. Take care of my appearance, and just feel good about my body now at this size and find physical activities that really excite me. And in that pursuit becoming healthier and slimmer. Trying a new sport, training for a 5k, dancing, hiking, rowing, are things that deep down I know I want to be apart of, but never tried because of my weight. And now this pull is no longer ignorable.

Wow, not kidding, this post was originally about blackened chicken salad. I had a picture and everything.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa.
truly an amazing post. so insightful that you thought your brooklyn time would be filled with creation and that the pull to a more rural life is one you think WILL BE.

that youre ready to leave yet found the way NY 'stretched' you to be rewarding and turn you into a stronger ballsier you.

loved it.

I really like and admire M-CHO, too.

loved your ending as well...will we ever get the blackened chicken post?
:)

Miz.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Krissie said...

"With joy in mind..."
I love that. That is the spot I am desperately looking for.
I am excited for everything that is ahead of you. That is ahead of us.
And I have already mapped out Floyd on Google. You either have to invite us to the wedding or let me know the next time you're home. I'd love to meet up!
Oh, and you have to go to Asheville. And I've heard that Boone is nice.
Best of luck in the move!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,

There is no reason why you couldn't walk the 5k at the end of the month...

Go on... you'll get a great feeling of what fun runs are like and what you are working towards!

:)

10:53 PM  
Blogger FAT BRIDESMAID said...

Good luck with the move girl! I love your attitude about this whole situation. Love love love. Finding the balance between sharing our lives on the blog and living under the shadow of self-consciousness about who might be reading. It sounds like, mentally, you're in a really good place going into this move and I'm really excited to see what's on the horizon for you!

If Krissie gets to meetup I wanna meet up too!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog!

12:25 AM  
Blogger LadyK said...

Hi!

I just came across your blog within the past few days and I find your honesty and humor to be very inspiring. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be checking in often and I hope all goes well with your move.

All the best,

~Lori

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such an awesome post. I'm sure it was probably a little scary to put all that out there, but it's so true. I find myself in the same mentality right now. I've been doing the dieting and exercising and just find I'm not enjoying it. Perhaps I'll try some classes until I find one I actually want to do for fun and not just to lose weight. Thanks for the wonderful and insightful post! Hope all is ok and good luck with the move.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back!
what was that about blackened chicken?

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great blog, fight off those fats and keep up the good post!

2:39 AM  
Blogger WWSuzi said...

Great to see you back! I'm walking 5 km next month and from what i hear you have a blast ;) Go for it. You'll meet new people and have fun!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Jem said...

Good luck with your move :) You have a very good attitude! Thanks for the beautiful and insightful post! :)

JWard

http://fastfatlossproductreviews.blogspot.com/

10:00 AM  
Blogger Rhondalynn_J said...

Did you say there was chicken? LOL Great Blog!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having dieted all my life, I've enjoyed these article a great deal.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Im ready to leave NYC as well but can't. I guess I have to say a little while longer until my children grows up.

Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best on your new pad.

Fist time visitor
Rich

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME