12/29/2008

one is silver and the other gold

Happy Holidays my blog friends! How has the past week been for you? I'm finally putting a close to my vacation today as we head back to our home in Virginia. I was treated way too kindly over the holidays, with more gifts than I ever deserve and more food than I ever needed.

I also had an extra special treat of meeting with Krissie (and Nathan!) from Questions for Dessert this past Friday. I will admit that I had extra twinges of new-person nervousness, but as soon as we sat down I felt like I was meeting up with old friend (s). Who knew? I've been following Krissie's blog for over two years now and feel extra lucky to have gained a friendship out of blogging. And can I just say that there are a few uncanny similarities between her husband and my future husband?


(Krissie's picture! I will upload my photo when I get back home.)


And so here it is, I find myself almost at the cornerstone of the of the years biggest day for people who want to lose weight: New Years! I love New Years, I love making new goals and I love reflecting over the past year. I was just read Fat Bridesmaids blog about feeling like 2009 is going to be a big year and I couldn't agree with her more.

For me, 2008 was filled with changes and movement. There are a lot of things I did that I'm proud of such as leaving a job where things were quickly deteriorating, moving to a smaller town to open up creative doors for myself, keeping up with this blog and creating new memories.

There are things that I've learned: such as doing hard things even if I don't want to in order to get to where I need to be, that and procrastination only feels good in the moment, and making excuses for not getting to where I want to be.

There are things that I am grateful for: being able to exercise and use my body, for my decent health despite weight/food abuse (which I know that this is due to being relatively young), for Josh who endless support and encouragement is more than I ever deserve, for my family and new family for "getting me" and laughing at my silly jokes and for providing advice and an extra ear, and to my friends who regardless of miles and life changes can still be the same friends they always were.

I'll be around, I've got a lot to do before the new year. I've got some banners to mail off, some goals to get moving on and a new look for this blog!

Are you guys excited about the new year?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


8 Comments:

Blogger Krissie said...

You are so sweet!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AGREED! 2009 WILL BE OUR YEAR! Let's take our power back, and be the best versions of ourselves that we can be.

2008 has been a year of reflection, and setting ourselves for a successful 2009.

OXO.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Hanlie said...

Oh yes! I'm very excited about 2009!

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with Krissie and Nathan. They're good people, I can tell!

All the best for the year to come...

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really, REALLY excited about 2009 - I feel like it's finally my year to achieve my goal. Good luck with yours :-)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF you want to lose weight all you have to do is cut your food intake by 25% and exercise. Period. By exercise I don't mean walking. You have to reach your target heart rate for at least 20 minutes at least 3 times a week but everyday if you want. Non of these other fads will work. Just eat what you want but less. That does not mean fried chicken and ice cream but you can still enjoy your food just use common sense. This is a slow process but it will work and will be permanent.
I am a chiropractor and have had much success with my patients. The problem is everyone wants the quick and easy fix.
Good luck.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Heather Waghelstein said...

I'm excited for the New Year. On New Years Eve I look back and name the year. This year is the year of adjustment. Then I title the coming year. Not sure what this one will be yet. I don't make resolutions. I never keep them.

Happy New Year!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First I have to comment on "Mr. Anonymous Chiropractor." As much as I understand the nuts and bolts of losing weight (exercise and eating less) ... I really must interject and say that winning that battle with weight is MUCH MORE than doing just those things. It's about doing the internal and emotional work first. It's about acknowledging self-worth. It's about acceptance. While I appreciate that Mr. Anonymous's words of advice, being overweight is not all about just eating too much and not exercising. : )

With that said, 2009 is going to kick ass. Happy New Year to All!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Citycat said...

Hello! I have just been reading your archives and gettign geared up for 2009, where both my husband and myself have decided to lose weight. I've done it before, but it always seems harder the next time around, doesn't it? I blog, but not usually about weight loss, but it will be fun to have other people doing this with me!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME