2/22/2007

New Shirt?

Last night I went to put on a shirt before the grocery delivery got here and I grabbed a black one I hadn't worn since last summer. I walked past the mirror and thought "ooh, I like this shirt, where has this one been?". I then realized that the reason why I liked it so much is because it fits.

So I got to thinking about weight loss as I watch the scale move down this week. And wanted to comment on something that maybe other people deal with too when struggling with weight. Before I started Weight Watchers, I didn't think I was eating that bad. Don't get me wrong, it was much improved from the time before I moved, but I really wasn't watching closely. Sure, the weight came off when I first got here from all of the walking, about ten pounds. But, I was getting annoyed that it had slowed around the 298's. Now that I am watching an recording everything, I can see I was really wrong in my assumptions. Its not too difficult to realize really. If I had thought maybe "well, I thought I was eating "ok", but I'm not losing weight, maybe I should start thinking more about what I'm eating" I was actually eating close to 50-60+ points a day which is enough for me to maintain, but not lose. I was just sort of barely watching what I was eating. Cheese pizza instead of pepperoni, lots of eating out, and not watching portions and I never lost or gained a pound for two months.

I have a few tips that I believe are astonishingly obvious, but I didn't practice until now:

1) Cook. I like eating out, once in awhile, but its really hard to know exactly what you are eating. I used to eat the chicken nachos from yummy taco, assuming it wasn't that bad until I started adding up all the parts of it; sour cream, cheddar cheese...on and on. I find that when I cook, I know exactly what I'm eating and whats in it, plus taking my own food to work helps. Is it more work? Yes. Is it impossible for someone busy? No, I don't think so.

2) Measure and count everything. If you use oil, butter, or sauces count them all even if they seem to disappear in the cooking process. I'm always tempted not to add these things in, but who am I fooling here? 1 tablespoon of olive oil has 120 calories and 3.5 points, not too bad if you learn to use it.

3) Exercise, even a little will help. As I write this it is 7am and I got up at this time to exercise. I've said this a million times, I consider my commute to work a little exercise, but I can do more. If you feel pain or out of breath from even a little bit of movement (ie: a flight of stairs) see your doctor and start out slow. Maybe start out dancing for 5 minutes straight, and then 10 and so on. This will also help if you have a lot of weight to lose, or if you have lost and gained weight before to keep your skin in better shape when the weight is gone. This is one of my fears actually, to be left with the mold of my former self, but thats not a reason not to lose really (I keep telling myself that). But if you are forming muscle and losing fat, your skin will hopefully follow along too.

4)If it tempts you, don't buy it. Since I've started I have had things around that tempt me so I eat them all the time or at once until they are gone. Remember the 20 point granola bar day? If it doesn't require cooking and tastes good, more than likely I will want it all of the time. This one has been hard for me to accept. It doesn’t mean I can't have them ever, it just means I can't have them around the house for occasions. I mean who really only eats one of those 100 calorie Hershey bars? Really? I'd like to meet that person.

5) Fiber and Protein are you friends. I go to meetings and I hear things like "I'm still hungry after I eat" and the leader says "well, what did you eat?" and the lady says "a slice of pizza"...are you kidding me? I would be too, unless I ate like 5 slices, which is why I don't eat pizza. Eating foods high in protein and fiber, will keep you fuller longer. Choose foods that you can eat more of instead of ones that won't keep you full, but you like because of the taste.

6) Just because a box or a commercial tricks you into thinking its healthy, doesn't mean it is. I hate when I see boxing that throw words around like "whole grain", "no trans fat", "yogurt", "fat free" in brightly colored boxes with pictures of people running around. As if to say these are the "magical foods" for weight loss. True, some snacks can help on days when you just need that something extra, but they are not staple foods...they are essentially snacks and junk food. Just because its not fried five times, doesn't mean its not crap. If it had calories and no nutrients, that’s considered junk food. This one is hard for me, learning to accept that I don't need these around is hard, but helpful in the long run.

7) Be Consistent. I liked what this one lady said "if you fall off the wagon. The wagon is still there, just get back on it". So you say screw it for a couple of days. So what? That won't hurt you overall, it may slow things down temporarily (just look at last week for me). You just keep going.

8) Love yourself and feel good about who you are, these things will essentially be what makes you take care of you.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


7 Comments:

Blogger The EYE said...

that's good advice. well said! I just recently posted about falling off for a couple of non-consecutive days... that's exactly right - it's no reason to give up.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this post Lorrie! Its cram packed full of great advice :-) It deserves linkage!

4:56 PM  
Blogger FAT BRIDESMAID said...

This is all good stuff. One of the hardest things for me to give up has been eating out all the time (I'm a total foodie) but I also find that I'm really enjoying cooking for myself again. And thanks to my food scale I'm shocked every day at what a real portion size looks like.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

What a great post - I found you via Marshmallow's linkage. THe banana bread recipie looks great as well although I think in the UK we have a slightly different points system to you so I'll have to make sure I re-point it so I don't go overboard!!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

the banana bread is delicious - i can attest myself ;)

2:16 PM  
Blogger TrixieBelden said...

I once ate 7 of those 100 calorie snack packs in one sitting. If that wasn't bad enough, someone had to comment, "Did you know that's like 1/3 - 1/2 of the calories you need for the entire day?" Thanks. Like I really needed it to be broadcast to everyone in the room!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME