2/20/2007

Epiphany and other random thoughts

That was a tiny blog break for me. My family and friends came for a visit on Saturday, which was a really nice time. We danced, laughed and explored the city. I feel like my eating is back on track from the small hiatus of this past week with valentines day and the arrival of the highly anticipated groceries.

I’ve had a cold/sickness for the last few days and missed weight watchers on Sunday. I kept thinking “oh god, the demise of my plan, I missed a meeting”. Yeah, self-sabotage anyone? But, no I lost 1 pound last week which I will gladly take. That puts me at a total loss of 10lbs since I started weight watchers.

I’ve had a lot of random thoughts about weight lately and some I think are brilliant. It’s always funny to me when I finally “get” something. You know when you hear sayings over and over and you just sort of ignore the message because its overused and then your perspective changes from an event and its sort of like “oh!” yes, I see now.

The first thought is this:
“There is no magic pill or solution for weight loss” every logical person knows this, but I never really understood or accepted this so to speak. I guess in the back of my mind I always thought on some level that there was something that would make me lose weight.

Something would happen in my life, I would find the best diet for me, or it would just happen, because eventually I knew it had to happen.
What I didn’t accept mentally was that this “thing” is not a thing…it’s me.

I’m not sure if this makes sense to anyone that reads this, but how many times have we been enticed by the thoughts that something would come along and make the journey easier? If only I had those new tennis shoes, workout clothes, exercise DVD, a gym membership, that diet plan, something…anything that would make it different, this time.

Sadly, and fortunantly at the same time, all of that exists right now. Those small moments when you exercise, choose better foods, go for a walk, say no to dessert, take your lunch to work, dance like you’ve never danced before and faced those insignificant self-defeating fears while believing that you and your life are worth losing the weight for…that’s the “magical solution’ to weight loss.

I’ve given myself permission to break free of waiting for something to happen to make me change. I’ve decided that getting excited about weight loss comes not while I’m deciding to lose weight, and while planning it, or even after a food binge, it comes while I’m actually losing weight.

(Second thought in next entry)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 Comments:

Blogger FAT BRIDESMAID said...

First of all, thanks for the comment on my blog! Now on to more important matters...

I totally understand what you're saying with the "there's no magic pill that will make me thin." Somewhere in the back of my mind I kept thinking that one day I would wake up and the fat, it would all be gone, or somehow my "true self" (who is of course the perfect size 6) would radiate out from under my chub and be visible to all.

I don't know what finally made me realize the truth -- maybe the photos I took of myself in tight clothing? -- but I'm glad I managed to snap out of it.

Good luck!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Speaking of the gym membership... I really need to get that together ;) I'm going to check into it this week! (... no really .... ..)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME