4/28/2007

the flags



I like reading books or quotes that change my perspective and outlook on life. I read a quote on the blog- Half of me- from Drew Barrymore. I’ve always had a girl-crush on Drew, for various reasons. And now I like her even more. She was nominated as People’s 100 most beautiful people and one of her interview responses on happiness and beauty was:

"The only fundamental rule for me is to just be yourself,” she says. “Let your freak-flag fly, and if someone doesn’t get you, move on.”

For some reason that really moved me yesterday, I printed it out and kept it in mind throughout the day. Sometimes I let the thought of what other people think prevent me from doing even the smallest of things (asking for a straw, throwing something away in a crowded room, and avoiding social events). I censor what I say to people (especially strangers) and end up spewing things that I never meant to say or that make little sense, even to me. I feel like my chest is expanding and contracting, my face gets hot when I have conversations that make me nervous. Time starts spinning around my head and I have no idea what I’m saying. I will begin to laugh when something isn’t funny, or I will say something totally inappropriate. This by turns creates more of an internal issue and self-consciousness. There is rarely a relaxed moment with me and new people, but after letting the message sink in I feel freer to wave my flag. After all, I always have the choice to move on.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 Comments:

Blogger Lily T said...

I like that quote.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love drew, toooo.

"let your freak-flag fly"
that was on weeds, too! hehe

i miss you, lady! why'd you delete your myspace? i miss seeing your beauutiful face in my top friends! <3!

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

HOME