1/07/2007

'I could go for a little sweet'

Back in my days of cable TV I would gleefully watch The Nanny on Life Time every morning and loved the episode when the family eats too much and the little girl says in her best NY accent "You know, call me crazy, but I could go for a little sweet" haha. yeah I probably shouldn't admit to loving that show, huh?
I haven't really had any cravings lately for anything sweet. Mostly those come in waves particularily during PMS (of course) and it can be violent and unrelenting. I've been scouring the internet for healthy and low calorie alternatives to sweet foods or breads that are easy to make. I found one for banana bread that only has about 500 calories for two loaves of bread, which is pretty fantastic. I'm a lover of banana bread and eventually might try to adapt this recipe when I get more creative in the kitchen, maybe with nuts perhaps? I might make this tomorrow.
Here it is:
The following recipe makes two small loaves that we baked in tiny bread pans. Entire recipe contains about 500 calories. Preheat oven to 350° and spray two mini-baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Place the following ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and gently mix by hand until smooth:

1 mashed banana (please remove peeling before adding to the bowl)
1 Tablespoon of Melted Butter or Margarine (we used diet but regular will do for about 60 calories)
1 teaspoon of Rum Extract
1 cup of Splenda
Dash of Salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons of Skimmed Milk

Add the following dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients:
3/4 cup of White Flour

Cook about 20 minutes - or until golden brown.
For those who do not like using sugar substitute, double the bananas and use 1/2 cup of real sugar. Another suggestion for those limiting sugar substitute is to use half real sugar and half sugar substitute.Rum extract can be substituted with vanilla extract OR almond extract.

Another thing that an old room mate did (whom I wont mention the name of, because she annoyed the piss out of me) because her sister on weight watchers told her about was to freeze two graham crackers with whipped cream sandwiched in the middle. These are actually really good and have about 110 calories each. Not bad, eh?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

banana bread is tasty - that's cool it's low in calories (compared to other sweets)

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does sound good. Heck, I might make me some!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

HOME